Monday, June 11, 2007

Crochet Revolution.

I just love the sound of that phrase!

I realize that the knitting/crocheting content has been a bit light as of late. General yarn talk has been missing as well. Just want to make a quick post today about my WIPs and then this week I plan to catch you up on new yarns, projects, etc., that are happening at the store.

My top down sweater from the knitalong is still going. I'm working 'round and 'round the body. I'm probably about 1/2 way there. I've figured out a trim for the sleeves and bottom edge which will take no time at all. As long as it's done before it gets cold, I'm not stressing about this project. It's perfect, mindless knitting which is great for all of the sidelines I've been sitting on lately.

My newest project is this sweet apron. I fell in love with it the second I saw it on crochetme.com. I swatched feverishly when I had no right to be swatching anything! I'm using our Valley Yarns Southwick, a lovely pima/bamboo blend which is the absolute perfect gauge. It's also the perfect fiber blend and is a dream to work with. I'm crocheting this in all black, which isn't nearly as tough as I thought it would be. The reality is I wear a lot of black. Anyone out there remember the kids' line called Garanimals? Just match the tags and your outfit matches? Well, I'm a zebra - lots of black and white. Makes getting dressed easy and I can easily spice up outfits with a fun wrap or scarf. I cannot wait to finish this project. I'm 12 rows in and about to start the first set of darts. The piece is not difficult, it's smartly designed and I just love it! I want to be done with it so I can wear it to the TKGA Show next month in Manchester, NH. We will be there exhibiting/selling, so be sure to stop by!

Since we're talking crochet, I want to show you one of my prized possessions from TNNA. As I said in my last post, we came home with plenty of schwag - lots of treasures among all the schwag, but this ranks right up there:


It's my Crochet Revolution wrist band that i got at the Interweave Press booth. It ties in with Kim Werker's new book and her mission with Interweave Crochet. Plus, I discovered it has a fabulous duel purpose:



The perfect Blackberry cozy. Love it! I bet I could knit/crochet a bunch of these out of Fixation!

Once this is done, then it's onto Log Cabin. I have the yarn, the colors, the design, everything ready to go. But I promised myself a crochet project after completing the catalog projects. I've also got to come up with the next knitalong project. Before Pixie left for France, she emailed me that she would like to do a Nordic Shawl design (her own for a class she teaches at the store). Not sure that's speaking to me. Any ideas? Suggestions?

Honestly, I have way more WIPs floating around here. It's way too embarrassing to share. Seriously. Plus I have Melissa chomping at the bit to get me going on socks. There it is, admitted to the world, I have never knit socks. My MIL says that you are not a real knitter until you've turned a heel. Well, I'm sure we could have quite a lively debate about that, but given that she is the founder, she wins. I think I prefer the word "accomplished" to "real" myself.

Oh, by the way - look who got published on Knitty! Guess I couldn't ask for a better teacher! Congratulations Melissa!

The boys have that glazed over look about them - I think it's time to make some dinner.

Kathy

1 comment:

MelissaKnits said...

I always loved Garanimals. Also Zips sneakers, I had a soft spot for those too. The Big Z.
I am VERY excited about Knitty! And although I have the utmost respect for your mother-in-law I think there could be a lively discussion on the heel turning issue. This does not get you out of making socks. But you're still a Knitter.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites