Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Come "Sale" Away

A classic from back in the day from Styx. Reminds me of Journey, REO Speedwagon. . . those were the days. This song has been in my head all day - weird, I know. We're only day two of the Anniversary Sale, I shouldn't be getting loopy quite so soon. There's a long way to go!

What was interesting about today, is we had a grad student from Simmons College in Boston come to the store to interview us about the history of Webs. It is for a project she is doing for a class. What's is intriguing is that (a) she came to talk about our history while we're just kicking off our 33rd year in business and (b) Simmons is my mother-in-law's alma mater. Rather serendipitous if you ask me.

It was nice to have the opportunity to talk about WEBS, the history, where we've been and a sneak peek at where we are going. We spoke briefly about our history on the last podcast and I suggested to Steve that we take a few minutes each week to give a "history moment" over the next few shows. Sort of a "did you know" kind of thing. Last week wasn't framed that way, but we talked about how Barbara founded WEBS in the basement of the family's home and was focused exclusively on teaching weaving and renting looms. She even had a partner in the beginning. So each week we will share some of our history and I'll do the same here on the blog.

The sale itself has started off incredibly. I do have to share one funny story. I posted the sale on Knitters Review and as many of you know, that opportunity doesn't exist on Knitty (which is fine - no criticism). Sure enough, one of the Knittyheads posted that the sale was on and after a few posts, someone asked "What is WEBS and what is this sale about?". Whenever I read/hear a comment like that, part of me cringes thinking "I stink at my job" and the other part of me gets very motivated thinking of the opportunity to reach out to even more knitters. I'm currently riding the "opportunity" wave. . . . . .

I will be posting some fun pictures from the sale in the next day or two. Our warehouse chief Nick had the place looking just stunning yesterday morning. All of the sale yarns were stocked - not a ball or bag out of place. It was truly breathtaking. He even came to my office and ASKED that I take a picture of everything, before the craziness began. Now that's pride and he should feel that way. We are more ready for everyone to shop until you drop than ever before.

We celebrated Passover last night with Steve's parents. It was probably one of the nicest Passovers we've had, now that the kids are older, can read and follow along. Plus, they are full of questions and random musings.

Our Yarn Harlot event is filling fast and gaining steam. I am thrilled to announce that we will use this amazing opportunity to help the Northampton Survival Center's Summer Kid's Food Program. This organization reaches out to 16 communities in our valley and provides food to children in grades K-12 that normally receive subsidized meals through the schools. Well, during the summer school is out, but these kids still need to eat. The NSC provides breakfasts and lunches and is completely dependent on food and monetary donations. Let's REPRESENT and make sure that not one child supported by this program has to go hungry this summer. I will be posting the list of foods needed on our website shortly and I've emailed the info to Jayme-the-wonder-publicist as well. I'm sure she/Stephanie will get it posted to her blog as soon as they have a chance to breathe! This is our chance to show the world what knitters can accomplish. I know all of you coming will make statement - loud and clear. The kids in our valley need us to.

Kathy

4 comments:

JanuaryOne Cara said...

Happy Pesach!

tink said...

Aloha Kathy,
When I read about how the Yarn Harlot event will be helping the Summer Kid's Food program, I thought "Wow, what a great concept!" I thought to how the breakfast/lunch kids got fed good meals during the vacations. I'm so glad you're helping a great cause! Hooray for WEBS and for the Yarn Harlot!!

Cirilia said...

Nice post! It made me miss Webs...so I'm coming after class on Thursday as a reward. Graduate school is GRUELING, but that girl has the right idea! It's looking like I'll be able to finagle a thesis that includes some Elkins interviews as well. Pretty soon you'll be able to look Webs up in the encyclopedia! Wait, now I'm showing my age...I meant Wikipedia!

P.S. I <3 Styx! I don't know if you've ever seen the Adam Sandler masterpiece 'Big Daddy' but Styx is a major part of the soundtrack. Good stuff.

Kristin said...

I was so excited to hear about the sale I went online as soon as I finished listening to the podcast monday and ordered yarn... one to make another Vermont Felted Bag... with the RIGHT yarn :) (my first one didn't work with the yarn) and some other Cascade220... I guarentee you I'll buy more before its over!!!

 
Add to Technorati Favorites