Monday, March 26, 2007

Back to Life, Back to Reality

That was what today was and that song has been in my head since I woke up this morning. It was a pretty good day actually. It's not like we had completely disconnected while away - that is just not possible for Steve and I, right or wrong, it's just not. If I had stayed off of email for the entire 9 days away, I would have had at least 1,000 emails to sift through and that is with no real spam to speak of. We also spent part of yesterday and last night easing ourselves back in a little bit further. There are so many great things going on at the store and with the business itself - it's a bit overwhelming, but exciting at the same time.

I still owe you all some major catching up, so let's see how far I can get today. I think I actually need to pull out my calendar and go back to the first part of the month. Although I operate with a fair amount of technology in my life, the one thing I cannot convert to is a PDA/electronic calendar. I need the real deal. I need to see the entire month laid out in front of me. I don't have any sophisticated color coding system for business vs. family stuff, but I just need to see it all. If anything should happen to this calendar, I would have to curl up in the fetal position on the side of the road and whimper. I have misplaced it a couple of times, even left it at home (safely, but accidently) and have been distraught all day. It's kind of like forgetting to wear a watch (if you normally wear one). I have a more dramatic comparison, but I think it would show too much of my neurotic side, so I'll spare you all.

Okay, now I see, my last post before yesterday was on 3/2. That was the day the boys got out of school for Spring Break - three weeks of no school. That was the start of the biggest band-aided childcare set-up you have ever seen. It all worked out, but in hindsight, it's a miracle.

As the term wrapped up, we had a multitude of events at our boys' school, including Jonathan's debut in Hansel and Gretel as a Gingerbread boy (that's him on the right).

Jackson had the 2nd grade Author's Tea that same day, just several hours and another round trip drive later.

Steve and I were also prepping to be away, getting as much work done as possible. To add to the chaos, we had agreed just a few short weeks ago (literally, three weeks, tops) to host an event with Kate Jacobs, author of The Friday Night Knitting Club on the 12th at noon. I was thrilled that Kate was able to fit us into her whirlwind schedule, but I was worried sick that nobody would come. Noon. On a Monday. In March. My sole goal was to not be embarrassed. Events like this are like planning a party - will people come? What if they don't? What if this New York Times, best-selling author treks all the way from New Hampshire to come to WEBS and we have three people show up? Again, think fetal position and whimpering. But as usual, our beloved customers did not fail us.


In fact, the day was one of the most insane non-holiday Mondays we've had in awhile. It was wild! We had a couple of groups in shopping. We had some serious weavers in shopping as well.

And most importantly, we had a great event! Kate is an absolutely wonderfully, engaging speaker. She spoke about the book, read a bit and answered a bevy of questions.
Then she graciously signed books for everyone and chatted with them one on one. There wasn't a book left in the place when she was done.

Everyone enjoyed some yummy lunch and great couple of hours together. I truly love our customers.

Thanks for a great day Kate!

From there it was onto coloring Steve's hair, a full staff meeting, a fall '07 buy meeting, recording two radio shows/podcasts and meeting with the owner of one of our largest suppliers to preview some possible new additions to their line. Some other details to wrap and then, it was time to pack. . . . . You will never see pictures of what we lugged to Florida. I try to be the sophisticated traveller, but with kids, there's always the "what if" factor. Steve will laugh when he reads this - me blaming my overpacking on the kids. I will not admit how many pairs of shoes/sandals I brought for myself. Never! I'm just trying to do my part to save the airlines from bankruptcy by paying for my extra-heavy bags.

Meanwhile, we had spring yarn coming in almost daily before, during and after our trip. Please, just check out the New section of the website to see what has come in. New closeouts too! I received an email from our store manager Karen while away asking if there were any yarns she could discontinue to make room for the new yarns that were still coming!

So, I think that brings me current to the trip. I'll share a few highlights and fun pictures with you all tomorrow and then we'll be even.

Oh and I"ll update you on my knitting as well. That's as schizophrenic as the rest of my life.

Kathy

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites